We are excited to welcome students to the 2022-2023 school year. We are delighted that you will be part of our community. Here are some of the answers to the most common questions you may have over the summer in preparation for the new school year.
What school supplies should I look for this summer?
- A sturdy back pack, but small enough to fit into a locker, a refillable water bottle, and a few sets of inexpensive wired earbuds to use with a chromebook throughout the year.
- School supplies to get you started would be several #2 pencils, several black or blue pens, highlighters ( at least 2 colors), 6 or more college ruled spirals, 1-2 1/4” graph paper spirals (spirals and graph spirals are available to purchase at the school throughout the year), 1-2 composition books, a set of colored pencils and a pencil pouch. Other items may be required by teachers, depending on your students classes.
What Sports are available throughout the school year?
- Fall—Cross Country (6th, 7th, 8th), Football (7th, 8th), Volleyball (7th, 8th)
- Winter—Wrestling (6th, 7th, 8th)
- Spring—Track and Field (6th, 7th, 8th)
- Sign ups for sports are on the Walker website under Athletic Registration and are open NOW. All 7th and 8th grade students must have a current sports physical on file at the school to participate.
What clothes should I shop for this summer?
- Dress for success at school! This is a great time to start talking to your child about wearing different outfits for work and play. The district has a dress code and it can be found on the district webpage and will be available in the student handbook at the start of school.
- Students will be required to dress down for PE in Walker PE uniform consisting of a green t-shirt and black shorts or leggings. Students will need to purchase PE shirts from the school. These will be available online beginning August 1st or from the school office during the school year. Shorts are also available for purchase. Students will need to bring athletic shoes (no sandals, flip flops, heels or boots allowed in gym) and extra pair of socks. PE lockers are assigned to store items left during the week, but clothing should be taken home to wash weekly.
How do I keep up with what is going on at school?
- PARENTSQUARE! The district will communicate to parents through the Parentsquare app via emails and text when you opt in. Walker Administration and Teachers will also send information this way.
- WALKER WEBSITE-A calendar, posts and access to forms, handbooks, and staff directory can be accessed here.
- SOCIAL MEDIA-Walker Middle School has a facebook page and an Instagram. Please access these through the Walker Webpage to be sure you are linked into the correct accounts. There could be imposters.
- PARENTVUE– Be sure you have updated your student registration annually on ParentVue. ParentVue is where you will also find your students grades, class schedules, and attendance information.
Where is the best place to drop off and pick up students before and after school?
- Students must be dropped off in the front of the school, as there is not access to the building from the back parking lot.
- Students may be picked up in front of the school or in the back parking lot.
- Cars on not allowed to load or unload in the crosswalk or in the bus area. PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR THE SAFETY OF ALL OUR STUDENTS.
When do students start back to school?
- All incoming 6th grade students are invited to Wildcat Camp on September 2nd. Please see website for registration.
- The first day of school for 6th graders will by Tuesday, September 6th.
- The first day of school for 7th and 8th graders will be Wednesday, September 7th.
- Walker will host a Back to School Night for all students and parents. Watch for the announcement to come in August.
How can I be involved?
- Walker is looking for an active Parent Club to support our staff after a long absence due to the pandemic. If you are interested in serving in this capacity, please call the school.