Salem-Keizer Public School's dual language program integrates English Learners and English dominant students with the goal of improving the academic and linguistic performance of all participants. Its mission is to develop critically aware, multilingual students who are equipped to build bridges of intercultural understanding between diverse communities and successfully participate in the global community.
Our dual language program's vision is that all students:
- attain high levels of proficiency in English and Spanish and are able to use both languages effectively in academic and social settings.
- perform at or above grade level in English and Spanish in all content areas.
- value and appreciate their own culture and the diversity of our community’s cultures.
- graduate with an Oregon State Seal of Biliteracy and are prepared to thrive as global citizens.
Students who participated in a middle school dual language program are automatically enrolled in the high school dual language program at the corresponding feeder school. Students who are newcomers and students with high levels of Spanish literacy may also join the high school DL program. These students are assessed for Spanish literacy and writing to determine class placements.
If you are interested in enrolling your student in a dual language program at a Magnet school for Kindergarten or first grade for the following school year, you can pick up an application at Grant, Harritt or Myers elementary schools beginning March 1.
Selection is based on four priorities:
- Students who live in the school boundary for the Magnet school.
- Students who have siblings in the Magnet school program.
- Students who live in the Salem-Keizer School District boundary, but live outside the Magnet school boundary.
- Students who live outside of the Salem-Keizer School District boundary.
Application Process & Deadline
Dual language program applications submitted by the deadline are reviewed and organized by prioritized criteria. If there are more applicants than spaces available, a lottery is conducted for the remaining spots. Applying does not guarantee placement in the dual language program.
- First enroll your student in your neighborhood school.
- Next, return a copy of your enrollment form and your completed Dual Language application to the Magnet School or Elementary Education Office by March 31.
- Applications are also available as a fillable PDF. (For best results, download to your computer and use Acrobat when filling out.)