As shared earlier this week, we are continuing with our athletic activities while consistently reviewing our protocols and safety measures. For all of our athletic activities, we will continue to prioritize consistent safety practices for student participants, coaches, staff and spectators.
Spectator capacity limits
Due to the increased risk of transmission for COVID-19 during athletic events, we will be implementing capacity limits at all SKPS athletic events beginning on Tuesday, Jan. 11. Details for each type of event/facility is below:
- Basketball: Four (4) spectators per participant including basketball and cheer athletes, and pep band participants. This four spectator limit is subject to change depending on the event venue capacity limits. Team coaches will communicate with participants on final event spectator limits. Pep bands will be set in an area to allow proper distancing.
- Wrestling: Four (4) spectators per participant.
- Swimming: Spectator limits will depend on venue capacity at the KROC center (to be determined). More details on final capacity numbers will be shared with families once finalized.
Due to venue capacity, middle school competitions will be limited to two (2) spectators per participant per event.
Face coverings and physical distancing requirements
All requirements for physical distancing and face coverings will continue to be maintained for participants, coaches and spectators. Requirements include:
- Face coverings are required for all spectators.
- Athletes are not required to wear a face covering indoors while actively practicing or playing a competitive sport at any level, including cheerleading and dance/drill.
- Students not actively participating (i.e., on the sideline/bench during an indoor competition.) are required to wear a face covering.
- Coaches and support staff are required to wear a face covering during indoor practices and competitions. This includes weight training regardless of location.
- All individuals should maintain physical distance to the extent possible.
- Face coverings are optional in outdoor settings.
Concessions, trips and other activities
All athletic activities such as overnight trips, extra team functions (ex. team meals) and concession stands will NOT be allowed.
Working together to maintain health and safety
As a reminder, families should be aware of the increased risk of transmission of COVID-19 during athletic events, which could result in students needing to quarantine. Individuals from other households should consistently maintain physical distance.
These protocols are crucial to maintain safe and healthy athletic events for our students, families and community. Our protocols are reviewed regularly and any additional changes or adjustments to our protocols for students and/or spectators will be shared with families as needed.
Working together to closely follow all safety protocols will support our students in maintaining time in play, and in the classroom.